The Environmental Resilience Institute at the University of Virginia seeks artists to participate in Coasts in Crisis: Art and Conversation in the Aftermath of Hurricanes. This event will bring artists from coastal areas affected by hurricanes in 2017 and 2018 to Charlottesville in 2019. The deadline for applications is January 15, 2019.
Description: Invited artists will present their work made in the aftermath of the storms, and will have a public dialogue about the role of the arts in hurricane resilience. Invited artists will receive a $1,000 honorarium, travel and lodging in Charlottesville for two nights and three days.
Eligibility: This opportunity is available for all artists who have been affected by the hurricanes of 2017 and 2018. Those of diverse background, race, ethnicity, gender, and ability are encouraged to apply. Artists should explain how they were affected by the hurricane in their application statement. Artists working in all forms/media will be considered, including literary, visual, sonic, and performance arts, as well as community-based projects. Individuals or groups may apply. The work should engage in some fashion with the hurricanes of 2017 and 2018.
- Artist’s CV.
- A one-page application statement that includes:
- Artist’s name and contact information (email, phone number, and mailing address)
- Approximate number of pieces to be exhibited/performed
- Titles of the works to be exhibited/performed
- Indication if the work has been done by a group or an individual artist
- An explanation of how the artist has been affected by hurricanes, and how their work engages with the storm experience
- A short biography of the artist
- High-quality digital images (jpg), videos, documents, or recordings of the art, depending on the medium.
If you’re unable to submit over email, please share a link to a Dropbox or GoogleDrive folder containing all required elements with email@example.com.
Criteria for selection
The quality of the conception, design, and execution of the proposed art piece.
The engagement of the artist/s with the hurricane and related topics.
The feasibility of displaying/ performing the piece at the University of Virginia.
Please direct inquiries and application materials to Dr. Charlotte Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is January 15, 2019. Applicants will be selected for participation in February 2019.