A report by Lazlo Rugoff for The Vinyl Factory.
“Pulsing psychedelic chicha, glitchy folktronica and downtempo.”
A new compilation called A Guide to the Birdsong of Mexico, Central America & the Caribbean is being released by Shika Shika, this June.
Collecting endangered bird songs from across Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, Shika Shika co-founder Robin Perkins tasked ten producers to create an original piece of music from the field recordings.
It features artists including Equiknoxx’s Time Cow, Jiony, Siete Catorce and DJ Jigüe, with bird song samples coming from species including the Momoto Carenado, Ferminia and Loro Cabeza Amarilla.
A Guide to the Birdsong of Mexico, Central America & the Caribbean marks the second instalment in the series, following the release of A Guide to the Birdsong of South America in 2015.
Head here to pre-order a copy of ahead of A Guide to the Birdsong of Mexico, Central America & the Caribbean’s 26th June release, check out the artwork and tracklist below.
1. Jiony – Cotorra Serrana Occidental
2. The Garifuna Collective – Black Catbird
3. Maracuya – Cuco Cuco Picogordo de la Española Feat. Ximena Obregon
4. Di Laif – Colín Ocelado
5. Tamara Montenegro & NAOBA – Momoto Carenado
6. Alex Hentze – Tecolote Barbudo
7. Time Cow (Equiknoxx) – Jamaican Blackbird
8. NILLO – Tangara Hormiguera Carinegra Feat. Majo
9. Siete Catorce – Loro Cabeza Amarilla
10. DJ Jigüe – Ferminia