Advocates say vulnerable Puerto Ricans left out . . .

TOPSHOT-PUERTORICO-WEATHER-HURRICANE

This article, “Advocates say vulnerable Puerto Ricans left out of $1.5 billion recovery planning process,” by Danielle McLean appeared in ThinkProgress (August 25, 2018). [Thanks, Peter Jordens!] The article stresses the uphill battle for rebuilding a seriously damaged island where “recovery has been painfully slow.” McLean quotes Ariadna Godreau-Aubert who says, “These are the funds that are going to determine how Puerto Rico is going to look like in the next 20 years.” Here are excerpts; find full article at ThinkProgress.

The Puerto Rican government has created a plan outlining how it will spend $1.5 billion in federal disaster recovery funds that are intended to revitalize the storm-torn U.S. island. The plan lays out how the island will use the funds to repair and redevelop its infrastructure, utilities, and housing and help create new jobs and businesses, but advocates say the process was flawed and failed to include input from the most vulnerable Puerto Ricans.

When drafting the plan, the government is required by law to go through a vigorous process that takes into account input from stakeholders and community members. But according a letter to federal officials penned by dozens of advocacy groups, non-profits, and various other community stakeholders, the people whose lives have been torn apart by the storms have been largely left out of the process. Advocates fear these sweeping changes could lead to further displacement.

“These are the funds that are going to determine how Puerto Rico is going to look like in the next 20 years,” Ariadna Godreau-Aubert, a San Juan-based attorney and coordinator for the legal advocacy group Ayuda Legal Huracán María (Hurrican Maria Legal Assistance), told ThinkProgress. Her organization co-signed the letter. “This is being made by the (Puerto Rico) Department of Housing, by the government, by the developers that are already engaged in the process and its not counting the people that are going to be affected and was more affected by Hurricane Maria,” Godreau-Aubert added.

When Hurricanes Maria and Irma swept through Puerto Rico last year, it left a path of destruction that decimated the island. Estimated recovery needs are topping $94 billion, and thousands of people are displaced. At least 1,427 people have died as result of the storms. And recovery has been painfully slow: Nearly 11 months after the storms, crews were still busy restoring power to homes throughout the island.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has set aside $20 billion in Community Development Block Grants–Disaster Recovery (CDBG–DR) funds to help the island recover. On July 30, HUD approved an action plan that will determine how the island will spent the first $1.5 billion in CDBG–DR funds it received. Over the next few months, the Puerto Rico Department of Housing will need to go through a similar process when determining how it will spend the remaining $18.5 billion in federal funds.

When determining how those funds will be spent, the Puerto Rico Department of Housing creates an action plan after collecting data and taking into account the governor’s own plan and comments from leaders of local cities and towns, various government bodies, various non-governmental organizations including non-profits, and members of the community.

But when the Puerto Rican government held public meetings and put out notices seeking comment on the draft plan, there were too many barriers preventing people from weighing in, Ayuda Legal Huracán María claims. In the letter to HUD the group co-signed, a coalition of advocates — over 80 nonprofits, social workers, advocacy groups, and various community stakeholders — asked for a 30-day extension to the 14-day comment period.

According to the Puerto Rico Department of Housing, four notices (two in English and two in Spanish) went out in three Puerto Rican newspapers advertising six public meetings that were held across the island between March 5 and March 10. More than 300 individuals and organizations presented oral and written statements during the hearings, the agency claimed.

But the letter claimed the notices for the meetings were inadequate. Ayuda Legal Huracán María noted in a separate May 16 letter to HUD that the notices were written in small print without any information explaining what CDBG–DR funds are or any details surrounding the commenting process. On top of that, the community meetings were advertised over social media — a time when swaths of the island had no electricity or internet access. The letter also explained that these meetings were held on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., so people who worked would have a hard time attending.

According to the advocacy groups’ letters, those meetings were mainly attended by representatives from municipal governments and other government agencies. During one of the meetings, comment was granted almost exclusively to mayors who presented proposals for their own municipalities. “In every hearing, mayors received preferential treatment with respect to speaking time slots. In contrast, community and other stakeholders’ effective participation was limited,” the advocacy groups explained.

And many of the proposals presented by those public officials would displace “historically vulnerable communities who have been unable to access any information around CDBG-DR processes or the projected plans,” the dozens of organizations wrote in the letter.

“Too often, money intended for low and moderate income people’s housing has been diverted to uses other than fair housing compliance,” the letter continued. “We share a responsibility to ensure that available resources are used fairly, efficiently, and effectively, with a level of transparency and accountability that provides the public with confidence on public spending and post-recovery planning.”

Days later, the Puerto Rico Department of Housing rejected the 30-day extension request, saying their claims were “unsubstantiated” and that representatives from the department met with numerous community organizations and would be holding an additional workshop for 20 to 30 community organizations as well. Also, the action plan when published will include “programmatic activities” that will benefit the homeless, low-income families, and small and medium sized businesses that were impacted by the disasters. Any extension to the timeline would “unnecessarily delay the benefits of this important recovery mechanism.”

The Puerto Rico Department of Housing did not respond to ThinkProgress requests for comment. [. . .]

[Photo above: A DESTROYED HOUSE IN THE AFTERMATH OF HURRICANE MARIA IN NAGUABO, PUERTO RICO ON OCTOBER 2, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / RICARDO ARDUENGO/AFP/GETTY IMAGES.]

For full article, see https://thinkprogress.org/advocates-say-vulnerable-puerto-ricans-left-out-of-1-5-billion-recovery-planning-process-707db9f7769b

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s