Widespread power and cellular outages in Puerto Rico have made communication extremely challenging. These are some suggestions for how to reach friends and loved ones on the island – if you have your own tips, please share them in the comments section.
- Use the Safe and Well page on the American Red Cross’s website, where survivors can register and post messages, and loved ones can search for registrants. You can also register on the site by texting SAFE to 78876. Those worried about missing friends or relatives with a serious health condition are encouraged to call the Red Cross at 800-733-2767.
- The Puerto Rico Tourism Company has set up a hotline at 877-976-2400 for people staying at hotels.
- Puerto Rico Maria Updates, a public Facebook group, is collecting information for those affected by the storm.
- Facebook has also turned on its Safety Check feature for people in areas affected by Hurricane Maria.
- The radio station WIPR in San Juan is taking emergency calls at 787-777-0940.
- A map and directory of emergency operation centers in Puerto Rico can be found here.