Stating that “It’s becoming increasingly obvious that federal officials won’t begin treating climate change like a real problem until a whole lot of people die or lose their homes,” Jerry Iannelli, Miami New Times’ reporter, lists the 5 scariest studies on the effects of climate change on Miami. Florida. Iannelli writes:
In honor of last month’s Science March, here’s a recap of the most striking recent studies into how climate change will affect the 305.
- Rising seas could turn 2.5 million Miamians into refugees — the most in the nation.
- Climate change could create “superstorms” that could level the city.
- The city’sbridges and causeways are particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels, which means Miami Beach residents could get trapped on the island.
- In the best-case scenarios, the city would likely begin to resemble the Florida Keys.
- Oh, and the city would also become inhospitably hot and humid even if you can find a dry spot to stand.