The Caribbean Studies Association has just announced the following job vacancy. The University of the West Indies’ Institute for Gender and Development Studies (IGDS) based at the regional headquarters in Kingston, Jamaica, invite candidates to apply for the post of University Director. The deadline for applications in January 31, 2017.
Qualifications and Experience
- Academic and leadership experience at the Professorial level.
- D. in Gender, Sexualities and Development Studies or a related discipline with extensive gender and feminist experience.
- At least 8 years’ experience in University Administration, organizational leadership, financial and project management and strategic visioning.
- Proven experience in graduate teaching, supervision and research in Gender, Sexualities and Development Studies or related field at the tertiary level.
- Strong academic background evidenced by an extensive publication record in the field.
- Strong global connections and networks in the field.
- Knowledge of or experience with the Caribbean would be an asset.
- Provide intellectual leadership to the IGDS and the University of the West Indies.
- Provide administrative leadership for the work of the IGDS and provide oversight to campus units.
- Provide leadership at campus and regional level in relation to the mandate, strategic and operational plans of the IGDS, in keeping with the main pillars of the UWI Strategic Plan.
- Managing the operations of the Office of the University Director.
- Liaising with the campus Units of the IGDS as well as relevant University Boards and Committees and discipline-based teaching and research entities to promote the further development of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary teaching and research activities that address the full spectrum of issues that relate to the thematic focus of the Institute.
- Develop and manage funding proposals/projects liaising with stakeholders and partners.
- Facilitate regional collaboration among campus units, programmes and others
- Representing the IGDS on relevant University Committees.
- Mentorship and development.
- Contribute to teaching and supervision.
- Provide advice on and visibility to issues related to gender at the UWI.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with and the provision of technical and advisory services to external stakeholders at national, regional and international levels.
Personal Attributes: Candidates must possess:
- The ability to work in the culture of teamwork on the IGDS and the capacity to motivate and inspire others in an inter and multidisciplinary environment
- Good administrative and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A student-focused approach to education
- Ability to engage with regional and community-based stakeholders
Detailed applications (two copies) and full curriculum vitae should be sent under confidential cover to the University Registrar, Office of Administration, The University of the West Indies, Regional Headquarters, Hermitage Road, Kingston 7, Jamaica. Fax No.876-977-1422; e-mail: email@example.com Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated.
Further particulars, including interview process, can be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the University Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by The University. The successful candidate will be expected to assume duties 1st August 2017.