Organized around the theme “Les écritures convergentes” [Convergent Writings] the Institut du Tout-Monde presents the 27th edition of the Prix Carbet de la Caraïbe et du Tout-Monde, to be held in French Guiana (Cayenne, Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni, and Mana) from December 12 to 17, 2016.
The jury for this new edition includes Ernest Pépin (Guadeloupe, President), Nancy Morejón (Cuba), Patrick Chamoiseau (Martinique), Lise Gauvin (Quebec, Canada), J. Michael Dash (U.S./Trinidad), Miguel Duplan (Guyana/Martinique), Samia Kassab-Charfi (Tunisia), Romuald Fonkoua (France), Evelyne Trouillot (Haiti); members of honor Rodolphe Alexandre (Guyana) and Diva Barbaro Damato (Brazil); and guest members Simone Schwartz-Bart (Guadeloupe) and Christian Séranot (Martinique/Guyana).
Since its creation in 1990, the Carbet Prize of the Caribbean is awarded annually to a literary work in Creole or French at the end of a lively cultural week of meetings, lectures, debates, films, concerts and exhibitions. In 2009, the Prix Carbet de la Caraïbe was renamed ‘Prix Carbet Prize de la Caraïbe et du Tout-Monde.’ By choosing this name, the Jury envisioned to “recognize henceforth books as well as comprehensive bodies of work, in all areas of thought, [. . .] and to promote more widely artistic, philosophical, aesthetic and political worldviews [. . .] that can contribute to an improved understanding of the process of creolization. The Jury also meant to extend its gaze beyond Creole and French literary productions, opening the selection to other languages and other imaginaries. The event is organized alternately in Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana and Île-de-France, but the last edition was held in Guadeloupe (January 2016).
The final works competing for the Carbet Award are:
- L’ombre animale, Makenzy Orcel (Editions Zulma, 2016)
- Nègre de personne, Roland Brival (Editions Gallimard, 2016)
- La vie Bidim d’Ambrosia Nelson, Marie-George Thebia (Editions de L’Harmattan, 2016)
- Au revoir Man Tine, Mérine Ceco (Editions Ecriture, 2016)
- Urbanîle, Jean-Marc Rosier (Editons Dumerchez, 2016)
- Le bar des Amériques, Alfred Alexandre (Editions Mémoire d’Encrier, 2016)
- Nègre marron: itinéraire d’un enfant du ghetto, Américain Jessy (Editions Ibis Rouge, 2016)
- Le convoi, Marijosé Alie (Editions HC, 2016)
- Un petit matin, Simonne Henry Valmore (Editions Vents d’ailleurs, 2016)
- Je veille, incorrigible féticheur, Anthony Phelps (Editions Bruno Doucey, 2016)
- Fugitif, où cours-tu?, Déméten Touam Bona (PUF éditions)
- Chérir Port au Prince, Valérie Marin La Meslée (Philippe Rey Editions)
For more information (including tentative program and long list), see http://www.tout-monde.com/prixcarbet2016.html