From Haiti Libre.
Concerned about contributing to the structuring of the music industry in Haiti, to the accompaniment and professionalisation of a new generation of musicians and composers, the French Institute of Haiti (IFH) and Ayiti Mizik launch the program “sponsorship & workshops – young talent 2015”.
This program is aimed at identifying a dozen promising professional musicians (authors and performers). These artists will benefit throughout the year a dozen workshops and courses of instrumental and vocal practice, scenic coaching, writing music, musicology and composition, taught by Haitian artists and musicians of international reference, exploring wide range of musical genres (root music, song text, reggae, jazz, bossa nova, soul rap, etc…)
In December 2015, the laureates will receive a diffusion space to restore their work at a concert on the stage of the IFH in the course of an evening dedicated to the new generation of music in Haiti. The label “lauréat jeunes talents musique 2015” will be awarded to selected artists who completed the program consistently. This Label will be awarded by a jury of music professionals (producers, programmers, directors of cultural institutions, musicians and Haitian and foreign nationality artists) who will judge on: the quality and originality of the songs heard, motivation and the candidate’s ability to follow the program and its willingness to attend workshops and training to develop in his artistic career.
Selection criteria :
- Détenir une expérience significative de la pratique instrumentale ou vocale, avoir suivi une formation dans le secteur musical, s’être déjà produit publiquement, avoir à son actif un répertoire d’au moins 4 chansons dont plusieurs compositions originales ;
- Be part of emerging musicians of the new generation in the process of professionalization (the program is not intended for confirmed artists) ;
- Be available to attend all the workshops with rigor and professionalism (be punctual and responsive) ;
- Demonstrate a real motivation, a desire to become more professional, to progress, with a capacity to question its achievements and teamwork) ;
- Demonstrate skills in creativity, originality and innovation.
Conditions of Participation :
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age, of Haitian nationality ;
- The contest is open to professional artists (Each member of the collective and groups should submit their applications separately) ;
- Any content racist, advocating violence, ethnically or otherwise detrimental to human dignity is strictly prohibited ;
- Return the completed application to the reception of the IFH (99 avenue Lamartinière, Bois Verna) or of Kay Mizik La (35 ruelle Roy), or send it by mail to : email@example.com before April 20 at 5:00 pm (all incomplete or sent after the deadline will not be accepted) ;
- Be available throughout the year for the audition in case of pre-selection (24 April 2015) ; for workshops throughout the year on Port-au-Prince (participation in transportation costs for the coming of the laureates from the neighboring cities of Port-au-Prince to workshops may be considered at the time of the interview) ; for the restitution concert of the evening (December 17, 2015).
Application Form (to be completed) : http://www.haitilibre.com/docs/formulaire-candidature.pdf
Reminder of the Calendar :
- Launch of the call for applications: Wednesday, March 4, 2015 http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-13509-haiti-news-some-news-here-and-there.html ;
- Close of the applications : Monday, April 20, 2015 at 5:00 pm;
- Consultative Committee Meeting for the first selection: 21 to 24 April 2015 ;
- Hearing before the jury with the pre-selected artists (interviews of one hour): April 24, 2015 ;
- Announcement by email of the final selection: week of 27 to 30/04: only laureates will be contacted ! In the absence of reply by April 30, the application must be considered denied.
- Provisional schedule of the workshops: every first Wednesday of the month (workshops between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm) and other days to be determined ;
- Handing of the Label and concert at the IFH: December 17, 2015.
- For the original report go to www.haitilibre.com/en/news-13555-haiti-music-young-talent-contest-2015-call-for-applications.html