Five Haitians were wounded Monday in clashes involving Dominican and Haitian security forces as well as members of the U.N. Stabilization Mission in Haiti, or Minustah, the Spanish press agency EFE reports.
The trouble began when a number of Haitian civilians attacked Dominican border guards with sticks and stones after the guards seized a consignment of garlic they said had been smuggled across the border.
The border guards opened fire, wounding a 19-year-old Haitian man who was taken to a hospital in the northern Dominican city of Santiago.
The Haitians set fire to a truck bringing Dominican cement into Haiti, stoned a customs office here in Dajabón and smashed car windows. They also damaged a Minustah vehicle in the neighboring Haitian town of Ouanaminthe before clashing with Haitian police and U.N. troops.
That confrontation left four Haitian civilians wounded, doctors and human rights activists said.
Dominican authorities have tightened border controls to prevent the spread of a cholera outbreak that has claimed more than 1,700 lives in Haiti, the hemisphere’s poorest country.
For the original report go to http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=380402&CategoryId=14092