The work of one brigade of the 5th of September Contingent of the Ministry of Construction is transforming the 250-year-old Fortress of Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua in Cuba. Jagua Castle, in the south center of Cuba, was built to defend the bay from pirates. It is the third most important fort in the country and the only one in the island’s central coast. Marisol Otero, director of its Museum, explained that they have never carried out such a complex set of renovations, which include extensive work on the bridge that controls the approach to the monument, which gives access to the Plaza de Armas. Marisol specified that “they restored the balconies and worked on the preservation of the museum’s collection of weapons. They removed the rust from the large cannons, located in the main entrance of the Castle”. The reparations and maintenance will be completed by the end of the year, and the results will display the fort’s impressive renaissance architecture, which incorporated elements of medieval fortresses. The fort was built in 1745 by the French engineer Joseph Tantete.
The castle is the only Spanish military enclave from the end of XVIII century in Cuba, and is located at the entrance of the Jagua Bay. It is part of the National Patrimony Council, which helped underwrite the reparations.
During the XVIII century, Jagua Castle stopped the filibustering of Francis Drake, Jacques de Sores, Guillermo Bruce, Juan Morgan, Lorenzo Craff and other terrible “sea wolfs” who aimed to stop Spain’s monopoly on the riches of the Caribbean colonies. The fortress played an important role in Cuban history. In 1762 it was the seat of the Spanish military command, during the brief English occupation of the country.
Read more at http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2010/09/25/26760/restoration_of_the_jagua_castle_national_monument.html#ixzz10bN3xVYA